Sunday 3 February 2013

Baby Steps

Cliche or not, having a baby opened my eyes to a lot of things, like, that lip balm I always buy? Too expensive. And my favorite soap? Too strong for my baby's nose (and not to mention his sensitive, eczema-prone skin).

Above photo made with the help of Polyvore

In the bid to be more eco-friendly, save money, and be more self-sustainable, I have convinced myself (80%) to give up commercial beauty/hygiene products and make my own ones when my stash of soap, shampoo, deodorant, et cetera, runs out. It's a scary prospect, to be sure. Especially since the summer heat is starting to creep in and the thought of a non-commercial deodorant scares the living daylights out of me.

Here are the products I will make in the future:
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Soap
  • Toothpaste
  • Lipstick/lipbalm
  • Deodorant
Stay tuned for the recipes!


Here's a quick tip: stock up on coconut oil, cornstarch or arrowroot powder (uraro), and essential oils. Am currently on the lookout for cheap suppliers, especially for arrowroot powder. If you know where to buy these ingredients for cheap, do email me please or leave your comments.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment